The Cactus League got its start in 1947, and boy were things different 70 years ago. Scott Bordow of azcentral sports shared some Cactus League history on azcentral.com.
Cactus League in 1947
- There were two teams, the Cleveland Indians and the New York Giants
Cactus League in 2016
- There are 15 teams that call the league home, and their modern training facilities are spread out throughout the Valley.
- The Cactus League pumps $554 million annually into the Valley’s economy.
- It celebrated its 70th anniversary this past spring.
- An Arizona Republic analysis found that the 227 games played in 2016 drew nearly 1.9 million fans.